Have you been recommended for a joint replacement, but would rather not spend too much time recovering in a hospital after surgery? With advanced implant materials, minimally invasive surgical techniques, and better pain management methods, many joint replacement surgeries can be performed in the outpatient setting allowing patients to return home on the same day as the surgery. Find out if you are a candidate for outpatient joint replacement.
According to modern criterion, age is less of a factor compared to overall health and commitment to actively participating in the recovery process. A highly motivated and relatively healthy 70-year-old individual may be a better candidate than an unmotivated 50-year-old individual.
You may be a Good Candidate if:
- You have an overall good state of health
- Any comorbid conditions such as hypertension and diabetes are well controlled
- You are sufficiently motivated to follow postoperative instructions
Benefits of Outpatient Joint Replacement:
- Recovery in the comfort of your home
- Less risk of hospital acquired infections
- Minimally invasive procedure
- Less costly as there will be no overnight or extended-stay hospital charges
- Faster recovery as patients feel more motivated to get back to usual activities at home
- Personalized care if procedure is done at a specialized joint replacement center
Joint replacement surgery is recommended for end-stage arthritis and other degenerative joint conditions that do not respond to conservative treatments. Visit the Advanced Joint Replacement Center for an evaluation to determine if outpatient joint replacement might be the right option for you.
Dr. Yaser A. Metwally is board-certified by both the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery and the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada. He received his fellowship of Reconstructive Surgery from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota and specializes in hip and knee replacement surgery.